Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chicken Liver pate

We used to raise chicken for our own consumption, so we eat everything as it is all organic. A piece of chicken liver would normally go to a tinola and divided among us. It is also included in chicken/pork adobo to provide additional flavor and act as a thickening agent.

When I was a kid, probably the closest to pate that we had was liver spread or potted meat or liverwurst. Not too much threat of high cholesterol in our diet.  It's funny that when our tastes mature, become sophisticated and are able to afford these lovely dishes, we have to watch out for our numbers ha ha..

So a teaspoon of pate has 26 calories it doesn't seem to have a lot, but i can feel that it is loaded. So rich.. so fflavorful.

I have tagged this recipe from Jacques Pepin in Food and Wine for a while now, when I discovered that for $5.00 bucks I can get a good one from Whole Foods, in moderate portion, not the artery blocking size. Restaurants are using chicken liver more than they do ducks (foie gras) these days. I guess it is more expensive and does not have with the cruelty issues. I know in some states foie gras is banned form being served in restaurants because of the inhumane way that the ducks are raised to get a fatter liver.

Chicken liver is different though in the sense that it is being harvested from the chickens that we purchased in the market. No chicken is specially bred for this purpose.


But this is the easiest to prepare, from this recipe. I added a little chopped pecan nut for the texture, it turned out pretty good. Next time, I will probably make it a little courser than it is now. I used a tub of chicken liver, instead of what's in the recipe and only 1 and a quarter unsalted sticks of butter.

Best served with toasted baguette and said to be best paired with pinot noir, cabernet, or a frappato wine. The frappato I have yet to discover. But I am a merlot drinker or even Bordeaux or Burgundy red with less tanin. Tanin makes me feel that my whole mouth is being sucked of air making food less enjoyable. I am even thinking riesling or something light white, am no expert though, :) so these recommendations does not hold much water.

But enjoy, some get scared easily with things like liver, but this is the most inexpensive dish, easy to prepare, yet so fine tasting.

Cheers,

No comments: